Carbon monoxide is a gas that you cannot see, taste or smell – it is also known as the “Invisible Killer”. It’s an odorless and colorless gas created by fuels when they burn incompletely. It can be produced from anything that burns fuel (cars, stoves, grills, fireplaces, ETC). Carbon Monoxide (CO) is dangerous when taken into the lungs because it displaces oxygen in the blood and deprives vital organs of oxygen. Large amounts of CO can cause the body to lose consciousness and suffocate within minutes. Signs of CO poisoning may include: constant headaches, weakness, dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, and shortness of breath.

Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Understand the risks of carbon monoxide
  • Schedule annual maintenance inspections for your fuel burning devices on the property.
  • Ensure your gas appliances are vented property as it will prevent CO from building up inside the property.
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Do not keep your vehicle’s engine running for long when parked, especially in a closed area.
  • Have the exhaust system of your vehicle checked annually by a mechanic (even a small leak in the exhaust system can lead to a build of CO inside the car)
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm(s) in a central location of the property.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month to ensure they are working properly.

 

To request more information or schedule a free, no-obligation consultation for carbon monoxide detectors – feel free to give us a call toll free at (800) 550-2537.

 
Contact us today!
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *