Back to School season usually means lots of preparations are in store. In the midst of school shopping, lunch packing and the course planning have you taken the time to also consider your child’s safety?
Here are some helpful back to school safety tips that can help you gain insight to your child’s day to day routine, and enforce positive safety habits:
- Walk the route to school with students before the start of the school year to assess hazards and select a course with the least number of traffic crossings. Parents should teach and model the school safety behaviors that all children should follow, even if they don’t walk to school every day.
- Teach your child never to talk to strangers or accept rides or gifts from strangers. Remember, a stranger is anyone you or your child don’t know well or don’t even trust.
- Always walk on the sidewalk if one is available. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Be sure that your child knows how to contact you or a trusted adult in case of an emergency.
- Use the buddy system! There is safety in numbers, encourage your child to walk with a friend or two
Safety starts at home! If you have younger children it is better to quiz them on these safety tips often to ensure they remember what to do in dangerous situations. Also, you can stay up to date with your family’s busy lifestyle even when you’re not at home via live video feeds! Lock your doors, arm/disarm your alarm, control lighting, and set your thermostat all from your mobile phone! Contact PVS today to learn how home automation can work for you!